We’ve all seen and used it. The sturdy durable silver tape the functions as the ultimate quick fix for everything. There has been dozens of books devoted to all the wacky things you can do with duct tape. From wallets to roses to pants (seriously), this tape can do just about everything… except hold your ductwork together!
Duct Tape: Failing to Work on Ducts
It seems odd, but the standard duct tape is poorly suited to hold your ducts together. The problem is that duct tape is made from a cloth backing covered in adhesives. Now, when your ducts are heated from the furnace air or dryer vent exhaust, this fabric dries out and the adhesive fails. It is also possible for this tape to burn and release toxic fumes in the process. It is very important NOT TO USE THIS TAP ON YOUR DUCTS.
The Real Duct Tape
Instead of the classic duct tape, the proper tape for your ductwork is metalized or aluminum based tapes. These will not dry out because they are thin stips of aluminum or other maliable metals with adhesive. The metal cannot dry out and will not catch fire.
Leave It to the Professionals
It is very important to maintain the integrity of your duct system. Dirty ductwork can accumulate dust, debris, and worst of all mold. These irritants are then spread throughout your home and inhaled by you and your family. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, it may be time for have your air ducts cleaned.
- Do your home utilize a standard fiberglass filter?
- Do you have furry pets like dogs or cats?
- Have asthma or allergy symptoms worsened recently?
- Is your home accumulating a large amount of dust?
- Do you feel nauseous inside your home? Do your eyes, ears, or nose burn? Do you develop headaches when indoors?
- Was there dust or dirt inside the filter housing last time the filter was changed?
If you think your home needs to have its ducts cleaned, then click here to schedule a free estimate!